Happiness is one of life’s simplest concepts, yet it’s sometimes difficult to experience. You’ve probably gone through times when you wondered why your life is less than happy. Seekers of happiness sometimes overlook basic ideas. Consider that happiness comes from within and cannot be sustained from outside sources.
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. – John 16:33
Ensure you possess these four key attitudes in order to make happiness yours:
Be positive. Having a positive view on life is an effective way to ensure happiness. Although you’ll have some difficulties, there is usually a positive outcome or lesson to be learned.
- Make an effort to minimize the negative aspects of a situation. It’s unlikely that you’ll be able to change what happened, but you can definitely decide how to respond. Choose a response that benefits you.
- Positive thinking gives you confidence to go after your goals. Consider the times you’ve doubted your ability to do something. How often are you able to succeed when you doubt yourself? Can you imagine that there is a Power inside of you that can keep your heart beating and help you solve your problems?
- When you think positively, you’re able to hold your head up, regardless of the situation. Did you know that your future is rarely defined by what happened to you in the past but is more positively influenced by the choices you make in the present?
- Embrace positive thoughts and watch happiness come your way.
- Choose you this day whom you will serve; for happiness sake serve Life.
Be grateful. It’s sometimes easy to overlook the blessings in your life. Negative circumstances can cloud your vision. But when you possess an “attitude of gratitude,” you’ll find that happiness pushes you through the gloomy days.
- Even when a situation has a less than favorable outcome, avoid dwelling on it. Instead, be grateful for the experience. Now you’ll know how to proceed the next time.
- Make time during your day to meditate on the things that you’re thankful for. You will begin to notice that at the end of the session, a sense of relief comes over you. That relief represents the happiness from knowing that you’re truly blessed.
- A grateful attitude helps you become satisfied with what you have, instead of wishing you had something that someone else has. Your Good is unique to you.
Be kind. Many of us misunderstand kindness. True kindness is often experienced when you sacrifice something you have and want to meet someone else’s needs.
- How many times have you been truly kind today? You’ll recognize true kindness from the warmth you feel inside after sharing something material, or even a kind word.
- Approaching others with a heart of kindness allows you to deal with situations without getting angry. Happiness thrives in the absence of anger.
Be forgiving. It’s easy to let feelings of hurt and anger affect your desire to forgive others. But it’s necessary to forgive in order to live a truly happy life. When you forgive, you let go of your pain. Letting go makes room for peace of soul and peace of mind. That peace leads to happiness.
- Practicing forgiveness helps you to grow and lead a happy, mature life. Growth and development poise you for success and joy.
- Be kind to others, tenderhearted, forgiving, just as you would wish others to forgive you.
Affirm and meditate upon these words to awaken the powers of gratitude and kindness already within you.
May I be truly happy!
May I live in peace!
May I live in Love!
May I know the power of forgiveness!
May I be free!
May I experience deep meaning and Good purpose in my life!
These key attitudes to living a happy life seem simple enough. Practice them one at a time until you are comfortable and happy with your progress. Eventually, you’ll be able to experience the kind of happiness you thought only existed in fairy tales!